[Mediawiki-l] Database backup and restore corrupts page titles withspecial characters

Hugh Prior mediawiki at localpin.com
Sun Jul 30 15:38:16 UTC 2006

I have had many fights with funny characters (on http://fr.chainki.org).  I
generally find SQLyog slightly better at these things than phpmyadmin; it is
a less well known tool, but also free, and I tend to use both tools
depending on what I am doing.

One other thing I do is have among my tests, a little function which I run
as part of my test-suite to check if the db is set up correctly:

 /**
  * Test AltLang wiki lang code conversion
  */
 function testGetWikiLangCodeFromDmozLangName() {
  $altLang = new AltLang();

  assert("en" == $altLang->getWikiLangCodeFromDmozLangName("English"));
  assert("cs" ==
$altLang->getWikiLangCodeFromDmozLangName(urldecode("%c4%8cesky")));
  assert("ca" ==
$altLang->getWikiLangCodeFromDmozLangName(urldecode("Catal%c3%a0")));
//  assert("fr" == $altLang->getWikiLangCodeFromDmozLangName("Français"));
 }

It doesn't answer your question I know, but I hope it will be of help
anyway.

Hugh
http://www.chainki.org