[Mediawiki-l] Setting Permissions for Namespace

Cedric Weber samaki at gmx.net
Sat Jul 29 10:42:42 UTC 2006

I am trying to set read only permissions for a all except sysops on a
custom namespace I use in my wiki.

First I tried to use the extension for that
(http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:NamespacePermissions_Extension)
but it doesn't seem to work. I'm using mediawiki 1.5.6  -does that
extension require a newer version?

Anyway, I found this link
(http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Preventing_Access#Setting_permissions_for_a_Group_on_a_whole_new_Namespace)
that explains how to do that manually, but I don't really get it:

I managed to restrict read access, but thats not what I wanted.
Here's what I've done so far:
-----------------------------------
in includes/Title.php

    if( $wgUser->isAllowed('edit') ) {
        if( $this->getNamespace() == 106 ) {
            if( $wgUser->isAllowed('editforbidden') ) {
              return true;
            }
               else {
                  return false;
                }
        } else {
            return true;
          }
    } else {

        global $wgWhitelistRead;

in Localsettings.php

$wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['editforbidden'] = true;

I hope someone can give advice, thanx.

Cedric Weber, cedric.weber at gmail.com
http://m.zung.us / http://zungu.NET