[Mediawiki-l] Thoughts on enterprise MediaWiki?

Domas Mituzas midom.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 06:06:35 UTC 2006

Hi!!!!

> *  Users: what sorts of things are you doing?
Keeping stuff.

> *  Developers: what are the most frequent feature requests from
> intranet
> users?  What are the most annoying ones?  Which are the best that
> haven't been implemented yet?

Once they get used to it - more integration with other processes
happening.

> *  Authentication plugins.  The authentication interface is very
> good...it's gotten a fair workout from a number of angles
> (particularly,
> LDAP).  Seems to be reasonably mature.

There're two authentication plugins. One is the AuthPlugin, another,
specially crafted for intranets with single signon environments, is
utilizing AutoAuthenticate hook.

> *  Authorization plugins - not much as of MediaWiki 1.5....I'm
> guessing
> (e.g. LDAP group "admins" gets the "edit" capability on resource
> "MediaWiki: namespace")   This is admittedly pretty fuzzy right now.

Actually single hook changed, now you can have 'advisory rules' -
chain extensions, and instead of them having just to say "yes" or
"no" for 'userCan', you can just say "I don't know".

> *  New distribution mechanisms.  There's already a Debian package for
> MediaWiki, I'm assuming there's an RPM out there.  Does a PEAR
> distribution make sense?  Does it make sense to package MediaWiki
> extensions as .deb/.rpm/PEAR thingies?

Well, easiest way to update mediawiki is 'svn up' anyway ;-)

> Thanks,
> Rob
See you! ;-)
--