[Mediawiki-l] Using Mediawiki Authentication for an external system

Rob Lanphier robla at robla.net
Thu Jul 27 03:48:52 UTC 2006

Hi Chris,

As Domas pointed out, there's a lot of ways to skin this cat.

I've put some thought into this in the past, and some of the work I've
done here may be of help to you:
http://auth.robla.net/wiki/Table_of_Access_Control_Models_in_Targeted_Web_Applications

This may help you map the different auth systems onto each other,
assuming any of the apps that you want are on the list.

I'm assuming you want MediaWiki at the hub because you've got an
existing base of MediaWiki users, and you are looking to provide other
services (e.g. normal discussion board, blog, etc), without forcing them
to create another account, right?

One thing that really, really sucks about using MediaWiki as a hub: case
sensitive usernames that force an uppercase first letter.  Other systems
aren't necessarily going to distinguish between "CEarle" and "cearle",
so you may find yourself somehow building a extension/customization for
MediaWiki anyway just to get case-insensitivity.

Good luck!
Rob