[Mediawiki-l] moving templates

Frederich, Eric P2173 eric.frederich at siemens.com
Wed Jul 26 19:14:22 UTC 2006

Hello,

I had a template.  Lets say it was called 'XYZ Guide'.
The template was like below....

{| cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 style="background-color: #AEEEEE; border:
1px dashed black; padding: 0px 4px;"
|-

This article is part of the '''[[XYZ_GUIDE|XYZ Guide]]'''
|}

Now, I created a couple of pages with {{XYZ GUIDE}} and then decided I
would move the page XYZ_GUIDE to XYZ_INSTRUCTIONS using the move tab.
So I figured I should change the template too.  I moved the template to
Template:XYZ_INSTRUCTIONS using the move tab.  I also changed the
template to the following....

{| cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 style="background-color: #AEEEEE; border:
1px dashed black; padding: 0px 4px;"
|-

This article is part of the '''[[XYZ_INSTRUCTIONS|XYZ Instructions]]'''
|}

Now when I create new pages and have {{XYZ GUIDE}} on them the page the
template displays the word instructions and links to the instructions
page.
The problem I have now is all of the old pages still have a box that
says "XYZ Guide" on them.

Could someone please explain to me how this can be?  I realize that I
have two templates now.  One called XYZ_INSTRUCTIONS which says XYZ
Instructions and another one called XYZ_GUIDE which is a redirection to
XYZ_INSTRUCTIONS.  So my question is...why am I still seeing the word
guide on my pages?  I thought I got rid of it.  The only thing that says
guide is the template which redirects to the Instruction template.

Thanks,
~Eric