[Mediawiki-l] texvc and mediawiki install on sourceforge

Andrew Nelson andyfaff at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 08:51:04 UTC 2006

Hi All,
I have a project on Sourceforge that has a mediawiki (1.6.8), which is
working well.
I want to enable Math support for latex equations.  It doesn't work,
and I've read all the "it doesn't work pages"

a) I have set up an images directory in /tmp/persistent/myproject,
which is server writable
b) I have created two subdirectories tmp and math under that, which
are also server writable
c) I have enabled tex=true in localsettings.php.
d) I have corrected the $wgMathPath, $wgTmpDirectory and
$wgMathDirectory in localsettings.php
e) Since SF doesn't have Ocaml, I uploaded the binary from the
mediawiki sourceforge page to /wiki/math/, and chmod a+x it.
f) I go into the wiki and try to create an equation - however it
doesn't render - I get a "Failed to parse (PNG conversion failed;
check for correct installation of latex, dvips, gs, and convert)"
error.

g) I fire up Cygwin (I'm on a windows box) and go to
/tmp/persistent/myproject/images/tmp/ and find a tex file there.  I
run the command latex *.tex and it produces a .dvi file.  I can also
dvips the file and can subsequently convert it.  It seems not to be a
problem with the support programs

h) Thinking that it might be a problem with the texvc binary I go back
to /myproject/htdocs/wiki/ and try to run the texvc binary from the
command line, typing: texvc from the bash prompt (I'm a linux newbie),
no joy.  I then try typing sh texvc from the bash prompt, no joy
again.  All I get is texvc: command not found.  I tried entering the
command from the readme file in the texvc file, no joy. (I did do
chmod a+x texvc).
I tried copying the texvc binary to tmp/persistent/myproject directory
to see if it would run, no but it didn't

i) I can't make a new binary, as there is no OCaml on the SF shell
server (which runs Fedora 2), and I don't have access to a linux box.

Sorry for the length of the mail, I just wanted to describe the problem fully.
Does anyone have any suggestions, I'm stumped.
cheers,
Andy