[Mediawiki-l] Userrights specified correctly but nothing changes?

Birger bweynants at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 13:27:37 UTC 2006

Hello,

I wanted to make a usergroup called 'visitor' so that users who are
part of this group can log in but are not allowed to edit or create
pages.

Therefore i specified the necessary settings in localsettings.php:
$wgGroupPermissions['visitor']['edit'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['visitor']['createpage'] = false;

AND I assigned a user to this usergroup 'visitor' via special:userrights.

In special:listusers, the usergroup is mentioned behind the user's
name as "(visitor)", but when i log in to test what the user is able
to edit, the user can still edit pages and create new pages. I cleared
cookies, reloaded the page etc but no help.

Do i overlook something crucial or is someone familiar with this problem?

thanks in advance!

Birger