[Mediawiki-l] Qeustion

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Tue Jul 11 01:52:38 UTC 2006

> From: "Rob Church" <robchur at gmail.com>
>
> On 10/07/06, Imtiyaz Shaikh <Imtiyaz.Shaikh at gehrytechnologies.com>
> wrote:
>> How do I modify/add more fields to the create account page?
>
> 1. Create columns in the user table to hold the data
> 2. Alter the User class so it knows how to read and write the fields
> 3. Hack SpecialUserlogin.php and the associated QuickTemplates to add
> the fields, and have them saved when provided

I'd recommend leaving the user table, the User class, and
SpecialUserlogin.php alone, unless you want to maintain all those
changes through future updates.

I added a new table (s_user) that extends mw_user with the additional
fields I wanted, keyed by user_id. Then I subclassed User to add
access methods, renamed SpecialUserlogin.php to SpecialUserlogin-
orig.php, made SpecialUserloginExtended.php with the extra fields,
and symlinked it to SpecialUserlogin.php.

This way, you can update MediaWiki with a minimum of fuss.

:::: You must be the change you wish to see in the world -- Ghandi ::::
:::: Jan Steinman, http://www.EcoReality.org ::::