[Mediawiki-l] MediaWiki 1.7.0 and SVG support

Ronald Hall ron.hall at mcgill.ca
Tue Jul 11 00:04:33 UTC 2006

Tels wrote:

> Moin,
>
> On Monday 10 July 2006 22:50, Ron Hall wrote:
> > Rob Church wrote:
> > >
> > > Adobe

> > > Browsers improve. Gasp. Features that exist now didn't, back then. And
> > > demanding that users install plugins and extensions to browse web
> > > sites is the mark of someone who doesn't have a grasp on what they're
> > > doing, in the broad scheme.
> >
> >     Once again I bring my tiny,tiny soapbox out and shout.
> >
> >     "Yes!"
> >
> >     Rob gets it right again.
>
> In my opinion, he "doesnt get it". All the users of my mediawiki
> installation have SVG support in their browsers and security is no concern
> for them. To deny them SVG in the mediawiki just because somebody else
> doesn't have SVG support on their browser is just silly.

    If you are designing for the masses (I'm talking millions of users
here - your userbase is how big???), then the common
    denominator will win out. I am a firm believer in building to "good"
standards.

> Once again, mediawiki is used for alot of other sites beside wikipedia.

    Sure we use it for internal documentation and as a quasi-portal for
our group.

    I have used it to present an HTML tutorial. I'm thinking of building
one for high school trig.....

> What Wikipedia does, OTOH, is something entirely different.

    Yes, but ain't it grand how it does it?

    atb