[Mediawiki-l] MediaWiki 1.7.0 and SVG support

Hínandil hinandil at freespirits.org
Mon Jul 10 23:56:07 UTC 2006

Tels wrote:
> Once again, mediawiki is used for alot of other sites beside wikipedia.

Yes, but it doesn't matter much, since MediaWiki is written solely for
the Wikipedia projects, and not for any other site.  I feel fortunate
that there are so many options that allow me to run the software in a
couple different environments, one of which is quite security-concious.

> What Wikipedia does, OTOH, is something entirely different.

Only to a point.  You cannot expect a solicitation for a new feature (or
a heavy modification of an existing feature) to start any differently
than "does it make sense for MediaWiki's developers to devote their time
to this feature".  One of the first questions they will ask is, "Is this
useful for Wikipedia?"

In any case, if you wish to have SVG in an article without MediaWiki
interference, simply edit your list of whitelisted HTML tags and just
add the SVG code to the page.

There's little call to jump in and start attacking others on this
list--particularly Rob who is one of the major contributors to
MediaWiki.  If you disagree with the decision on SVG, there is nothing
to stop you from writing or commissioning an SVG extension or
contribution, and contributing it.

Any sort of constructive conversation would be preferable and much more
useful than flying off the handle.

Hínandil