[Mediawiki-l] MediaWiki 1.7.0 and SVG support

Tels nospam-abuse at bloodgate.com
Mon Jul 10 23:36:03 UTC 2006

Moin,

On Monday 10 July 2006 22:25, Rob Church wrote:
> On 10/07/06, Tels <nospam-abuse at bloodgate.com> wrote:
> > No. Both Opera and Firefox have really good SVG support in their latest
> > version (both available for free). Likewise,for IE there is the good
> > Adobe plugin, which is installed more or less automatic, and free, too.
>
> Browsers improve. Gasp. Features that exist now didn't, back then.

As I recall, the decision to not support SVG (on wikipedia) was mainly due
to security concerns, and not because it "doesnt work". Maybe I was wrong,
but there is no need for sarcasm, tho.

Plus:

> And
> demanding that users install plugins and extensions to browse web
> sites is the mark of someone who doesn't have a grasp on what they're
> doing, in the broad scheme.

Thanx for the insult. I can't change the fact that IE needs a plugin for
SVG. (it needs plugins for a lot of other things).

And in any event, it is not _your_ choice to make what users want to use or
not. Some people are just happy that a piece of software supports SVG now,
and entirely transparently for the users.

Mediawiki is used on a lot of other sites beside wikipedia, and maybe these
people really want SVG support, security issues and browser support aside
(read: for many internal wikis neither security nor browser support do
matter - like when the software support group installs SVG for every user
anyway).

But this is actually a seperate issue fro whether Wikipedia allows SVG as
SVG upload or rasters them to PNG, or not.

In any event, please spare me your sarcastic replies and insults the next
time, I prefer a more friendly discussion.

Best wishes,

Tels

- --
 Signed on Tue Jul 11 01:29:00 2006 with key 0x93B84C15.

 Kernel Panik is here! - http://ubersoft.net/kpanic/