[Mediawiki-l] during 1.7.0 install, "Specified key was too long; max key length is 1024 bytes"

Hugh Prior mediawiki at localpin.com
Mon Jul 10 11:09:40 UTC 2006

I have tried to do a clean install of 1.7.0 and get the following error
message:

Creating tables... using MySQL 4 table defs...Query "CREATE TABLE `wiki_job`
( job_id int(9) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, job_cmd varchar(255) NOT
NULL default '', job_namespace int NOT NULL, job_title varchar(255) binary
NOT NULL, job_params blob NOT NULL default '', PRIMARY KEY job_id (job_id),
KEY (job_cmd, job_namespace, job_title) ) TYPE=InnoDB " failed with error
code "Specified key was too long; max key length is 1024 bytes (localhost)".

When you do the maths, MySQL does have a point.

I remember fighting with a similar key problem on another recentish release.

I suppose I could just truncate each of the offered keys like the previous
fudge suggested (if I can find it again).

Comments?

Hugh