[Mediawiki-l] Search Engines Not Spidering Wiki Sites

Morten Blaabjerg morten at crewscut.com
Sun Jul 9 21:05:49 UTC 2006

In my experience they do crawl wikis very efficiently. I find MediaWiki in
particular to be very well indexed by the search engines; for our wiki in
particular both Google and Yahoo indexes the wiki extremely well.

I haven't made the slightest effort on the technical side to make this
happen, but I have tried to get our wiki linked to from other sites,
although not even to any great length. I guess you just have to spread the
word a bit around and make sure your site is linked to from at least a
couple of places. If your content is quality content and linked to from
quality sites (i.e. getting a good google-rating), it will show up on the
search engines in a matter of months.

I have noticed, however, that it seems mostly main namespace content appears
in the search engines, I think I have yet to see a discussion page or image
page appearing, even if searching for terms very relevant to these kind of
pages. Is there a default setting which excludes some namespaces from being
indexed?

Best wishes,
Morten :-)

--