[Mediawiki-l] [Mediawiki-I] Permission to only access certain articles for users?

Alex Powell alexp at adval.co.uk
Sat Jul 8 18:54:51 UTC 2006

Hi Rob,

I'm not sure I agree that they cannot work. What they cannot do is be
supported between versions, and it will be hard to prove robustness. If you
patch one version completely, a new one with new holes will soon appear -
special pages etc.

http://conseil-recherche-innovation.net/index.php/1974/04/11/41-restrict-pages-under-mediawiki-15

This lot have done an admirable job of trying to keep up with the MW
codeline, but the base codeline seems resistant to the hooks they require to
maintain it. Instead they patch diligently each version a few weeks later.
Whether this actually patches every possible hole is probably mute. After
all early MW versions had XSS vulernabilities (and probably still do as new
ones are found).

Security is a piece of continuous work, not something that can be done and
forgotten about. It is also requires the collaborative approach - by people
that understand the code and implications of doing certain things. MW
authentication has come on leaps and bounds due to parser hooks, though much
is not used by MW itself. It would be nice to see a similar approach
adopted for permission hooks. People could report holes, and they could get
hooks put in it the relevant places.

The MW code does not have too many points where pages can be obtained from
the database. Looking thru the patch main area is in the searches and title
listing. Unifying and hooking those would go a long way towards creating a
robust way to produce an access control extension that was robust for the
core and for special pages.

As for document management systems, well I think you can be quite smug in
the knowledge that your solution is several times better than any commerical
products for knowledge gathering and desimination.

So I second the call for more hooks - at least enough so that the chaps
doing the view restrict patch don't have to fight every release of MW.  I
also fully accept its not in the direct path of MediaWiki at the moment -
but then the wikipedia used to be completely open and editable by anyone ;).

Regardless, keep up the good work. I'm sure that time will resolve this
problem in some fashion...

Best wishes

Alex