[Mediawiki-l] MediaWiki 1.7.0 released

Morten Blaabjerg morten at crewscut.com
Sat Jul 8 13:12:54 UTC 2006

I have been running MediaWiki v1.4.15, and tried upgrading to v1.7 today...

As I don't have any root access, I relied on the webinstaller. After making
secure backups of everything, I crossed my fingers, uploaded the files, and
pushed ready to go. The install script runs fine, but after pressing
"install", the browser promptly comes up with a new screen and simply hangs
there, nothing happening, page load done. It is not apparent to me, if an
error has occured or something, and this is the intended behaviour?

No localsettings.php is created - and it doesn't seem like the installer is
actually doing any work.
Can someone explain what is going on? - Or please direct me to a page of
reference? I'm not even sure if this is an error message or if so, what the
error is precisely.

This is what the screen tells me :

Warning: set_time_limit() [function.set-time-limit]: Cannot set time limit
in safe mode in
/customers/crewscut.com/crewscut.com/httpd.www/install-utils.inc on line 21

a.. PHP 5.1.4 installed
a.. Found database drivers for: MySQL
a.. Warning: PHP's safe mode is active. You may have problems caused by
this, particularly if using image uploads.
a.. PHP server API is cgi-fcgi; using ugly URLs (index.php?title=Page_Title)
a.. Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
a.. PHP's memory_limit is 16M. If this is too low, installation may fail!
Attempting to raise limit to 20M... failed.
a.. Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
a.. Neither Turck MMCache nor eAccelerator nor APC are installed, can't use
object caching functions
a.. GNU diff3 not found.
a.. Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be enabled
if you enable uploads.
a.. Installation directory: /customers/crewscut.com/crewscut.com/httpd.www
a.. Script URI path:
a.. Environment checked. You can install MediaWiki.
a.. Warning: $wgSecretKey key is insecure, generated with mt_rand().
Consider changing it manually.
Generating configuration file...

a.. Database type: MySQL

Best wishes,