[Mediawiki-l] Permission to only access certain articles for users?

MikeM the.lists at mgm51.com
Fri Jul 7 12:36:03 UTC 2006

On 7/7/2006 at 1:21 PM Markus Fischer wrote:
|we're using MediaWiki for our corporate intranet documentation and
|sometimes have outside workers which should not be granted access to
the
|complete wiki because it may contain all kind of sensitive
information.

|Is there *some* way implemented to restrict access for groups of users
|to documentes? Like only accessing documents in a certain namespace or
|from within a certain category?
 =============

Unfortunately, you are using the wiki for a task it was not designed to
do.  The wiki was designed as an open information system, everything is
public.  Indeed, the "wiki philosophy" often states the 'everything is
public' mantra.  As a result, the patches to allow for any manner of
restricted access are at best a kludge, at worst an ongoing maintenance
problem.

Because of the "everything is public" mantra, I doubt if there will
ever be a reliable, robust, secure and maintained solution to the
problem you pose.

My solution was to set up a second wiki behind apache's
authorization/authentication model, so that only the people who need to
see the pages of that wiki were able to access it.