[Mediawiki-l] Safe way to parse extension variables in MediaWiki?

Alex Powell alexp at adval.co.uk
Wed Jul 5 11:29:34 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have been using and writing extensions for MediaWiki for a little while
now. Lots of them use $wgParser->parse to format output using MediaWiki
functions. This seems to break if used in an included page. Instead of
rendering the output you get "UNIQ211d04e92beed640...".

It looks to me that the parser requires another step to finish the
replacements, and that somehow calling "parse" stops this happening.

Using the parse function in principle is very handy, as can be used clean
input, and correctly format links to media wiki style. The cleaning of the
input is especially useful, as otherwise every extension has to determine if
any of their parameters have an XSS attack in them (or am I missing
something??).

So my questions are:

Is this behaviour a bug, or by design?

If it is by design, is there something that can be called to get the parser
back into a correct state? Or is there a different function that can be
called to benefit from MediaWiki's XSS checks?

Best regards,

Alex Powell