[Mediawiki-l] wmv video upload works for small, not big files. Large mp3's or swf files do work.

Jonathan Andrew Wolter jwolter at tsgrp.com
Tue Jan 31 22:21:38 UTC 2006

Thanks Sy,

I'm having problems with a 3.5 meg wmv file. I can upload successfully a 7
meg mp3 or a 7 meg swf flash file. If I change the extension of the wmv to
mp3 or swf -- it still does not work.

As for php maximum filesizes -- I changed the following settings in php.ini
to no help:
max_execution_time = 900
max_input_time = 900
memory_limit = -1   ;this is infinite
file_uploads = On
upload_max_filesize = 100M
post_max_size = 128M

I then restarted apache: /etc/init.d# ./apache2 restart

I tried uploading the same file --> the status bar slowly grows for several
minutes-probably 900 sec

---> and it fails (the page appeared to refresh with no error message, the
status bar stopped, and the windows 'flag' in the top right corner stopped
waving. The list of uploaded files does not list this file type.

My next step is to add echo / logging lines to the SpecialUpload.php page
and see how far it is going and where it gets stuck.

>> Snip <<
>> Any ideas? Could it be the codec I used to encode the wmv file? (I used
>> camtasia - this is for video based training in our internal company
wiki).

>It's probably an issue with http uploading.. either a php limit on
>maximum filesize or a problem with the timeout.

 --- original post ---
I am not able to upload large windows media video (wmv) files to a MediaWiki
1.5.5 running on php 4.3.10-16 and MySQL 4.0.24_Debian-10sarge1-log.

In testing, I am able to upload small wmv files (<3meg).

When I try with large ones, I either (a) the page waits for a few minutes
(while status bar in IE slowly grows) and then appears to refresh with no
error (and no file uploaded) or (b) IE shows "this page cannot be displayed'

The uploads directory is writable.

I can upload other images, mp3 files (tested successfully 10 meg), swf or
fla flash files (tested >7megs) and these appear perfectly.

I've tried increasing the php.ini settings: memory_limit = 16M;
upload_max_filesize = 12M; post_max_size = 12M;  I have also increased the
time allowed for scripts to run and load.

I added to LocalSettings.php:
   $wgFileExtensions = array('gif', .. The others already there. 'wmv');
   $wgVerifyMimeType = false;

When I look at a small wmv (<3meg) file I successfully uploaded, the mime
type is text/plain (which seems odd, mp3 files are properly identified)

Any ideas? Could it be the codec I used to encode the wmv file? (I used
camtasia - this is for video based training in our internal company wiki).

Thanks!