[Mediawiki-l] update inside 1.5.x

Michael E. Hancock mhancock at us.net
Mon Jan 30 13:44:08 UTC 2006

From: "jdd" <jdd at dodin.org>
> I need to make update from 1.5.1 (or 2, I don't remember) to
> the last one. anyway this happen at any new version.
>
> what will I have to do to really don't have to reconfigure all?
>
> is it enough to just save LocalSettings.php and replace all
> the others things?
>
> if I copy back LocalSettings.php, can I delete the config
> folder and go on? or may I first configure then copy
> LocalSettings.php?

Assuming you have a backup of your database and you've put the new software
in place:

1.  Make a copy of your current LocalSettings.php, then rename it to
LocalSettingshold.php
2.  Chmod 777 your config folder
3.  Visit site to run the setup--for example www.yoursite.com/config and
answer the questions.
4.  Move the newly created config/LocalSettings.php file into your main wiki
folder
5.  Chmod 600 your config folder
6.  If necessary put any custom settings back into the new LocalSettings.php

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Installation is a rich resource for this
process.

Good Luck

Michael E. Hancock