[Mediawiki-l] Users permission to edit pages

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 20:21:32 UTC 2006

On 1/26/06, Brion Vibber <brion at pobox.com> wrote:
> Tomás Dias Almeida wrote:
> > I installed mediawiki 1.5.6 and 1.4.14. In the both wikis I had the
> > same problem:
> > When a logged member edit and save a page, He gets the following error
> > message,  "Note: Remember that this is only a preview, and has not yet
> > been saved!". But a anonymous users can edit and save the pages
> > normally.
>
> PHP's session storage is broken. Probably one of the following is true:
>
> 1) You are running on a Windows server, and php.ini has the default setting of
> "/tmp" for the session storage path, a directory which does not usually exist on
> Windows.
>
> 2) You are running on SourceForge.net's server farm or a similar setup where
> php.ini has the default setting of "/tmp" fo rthe session storage path, a local
> directory which is different for each server that a user hits.

Interestingly, I just had a similar problem. My long-running wiki
suddenly stopped letting me save changes as a logged in user.

This was on a debian (actually Ubuntu) system.  After a little bit of
poking around, I determined that the php session save path was
/var/lib/php4 and that this directory didn't seem to exist.  I looked
at my backups and found out that it disappeard during the week when I
had upgraded the server from Ubuntu 5.04 to 5.10.

I recreated the directory and everything started working again.

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/