[Mediawiki-l] Getting started - echo type stuff disabled?

Hugh Prior mediawiki at localpin.com
Wed Jan 25 12:53:33 UTC 2006

I downloaded and installed Mediawiki 1.5.5 a few days ago, and have been
having a look.  I have pretty good experience in PHP, but it's my first look
at Mediawiki.

One of the biggest things I have noticed is:

a)       echo, doesn't

b)       if I try and create my own "test_wiki.php" file calling wiki
functions/methods, I get I think errors but all that is displayed on the
screen is a complete blank

I suppose these things are basically the same thing.  Is "echo" disabled?
Is there some other global setting I haven't seen which is stopping output
to the screen?  Is there some magic constant that I have to set to get debug
output (I have found $wgDebugLogFile, $wgDebugRedirects, $wgDebugRawPage,
$wgDebugComments, $wgReadOnly, $wgLogQueries, $wgDebugDumpSql but they don't
seem to help much).

Thanks for any help.

Hugh Prior