[Mediawiki-l] Will Data Disappear?

Rob Church robchur at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 03:34:16 UTC 2006

Upgrading from 1.4 branch to 1.5 branch is the single most useful
thing you can do, however, it can be prone to things going wrong. If
you follow the instructions in the release notes and the UPGRADE file,
then you *should* be fine, but of course, make a backup (both of the
database, and the filesystem, e.g. images) first, and be prepared to
roll back to this and start over.

Particular caveats include where the old MediaWiki installation is
using non-UTF8 encoding for text. MediaWiki 1.5 and later use UTF8 for
text storage, regardless of other factors. You may need to customise
and use the partial upgrade1_5.php script - be aware that this is not
documented, and will need modification for your environment.

In direct response to the question; the "correct" upgrade methods will
not cause a loss of data, but as with all things, caution is advised,
and a backup is near-essential.

Rob Church