[Mediawiki-l] $wgSpamRegex

=James Birkholz= jbirchwood at comcast.net
Wed Jan 18 02:41:48 UTC 2006

It should be a simple matter to deny edits that contain certain text.

This edit.php snippet appears to do just that:

                 if ( "save" == $formtype ) {
                         # Check for spam
                         if ( $wgSpamRegex && preg_match( $wgSpamRegex,
$this->textbox1, $matches ) ) {
                                 $this->spamPage( $matches[0] );
                                 return;
                         }
But I can't find where to set $wgSpamRegex (not in localSettings.php) , nor
am I able to even add or replace its value directly in the code.
I've tried inserting these two assignments

$wgSpamRegex = '1px;';
$wgSpamRegex .= '1px;';

directly before the "if" statement, and the edits still take place.

If I add a "PRINT $wgSpamRegex;" command to debug, it either    shows the
variable to be empty or doesn't display the debug text at all, depending on
where in the code I put it.

Using version 1.3.x on a hosted site.

Surely, there is an easy solution....?

James Birkholz