[Mediawiki-l] Resetting a forgotten password

Sy Ali sy1234 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 21:51:41 UTC 2006

On 1/17/06, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/17/06, Sy Ali <sy1234 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hmm.. it might be more simple to just delete the user out of that
> > table and create it again.
>
> DON'T DO THAT!
>
> The user id is used as a foreign key in other tables.  Mediawiki kind
> of depends on User records being permanent.

On a work-wiki an old user has been deleted with no ill-effect.. but
I'll stop this from happening.  =)

I think the easiest thing is to temporarily enable emailing and then
get the password emailed.. so we're not doing anything too crazy.

I'll go hunt through the bugzilla to check for / vote on a feature for
admins (or beaurocrats?) to be able to reset passwords.