[Mediawiki-l] $wgArticlePath when using CGI

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Tue Jan 17 05:44:49 UTC 2006

Graeme Canivet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wondered why you must use ugly URLs with the CGI module...?

In most cases, the additional PATH_INFO bit doesn't work with PHP in CGI mode.
All kinds of ugly loops and breakage result.

If you really know it works, you can poke around and change it.

> Also, I wondered how the rewrite $wgArticlePath = "$wgScriptPath/$1"
> works.... When I pull up an article in my wiki I use the url
> index.php/ArticleName, however, I have never written a rewrite rule so I am
> unsure how Apache knows to rewrite "$wgScriptPath/$1" into
> "$wgScript?title=$1".

There's an entire document dedicated to such topics; see the MediaWiki FAQ.
(Link is in the README, the RELEASE-NOTES and can also be easily googled.)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)