[Mediawiki-l] Something wrong with the MIME type when upload image files

Chientai Chen chientai.chen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 04:31:27 UTC 2006

Hi,

I followed the directive at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Installation_FAQ
to solve my  "The file is corrupt or has an incorrect extension.
Please check the file and upload again." error.

It works but is still something wrong.

After I added the following codes to my Local LocalSettings.php,
$wgMimeDetectorCommand= "file -bi"; #use external mime detector (linux)

I could upload the image files. But the upload images couldn't be shown.
For example, I uploaded Chieftain.gif to wiki, then I got a document
Image:Chieftain.gif. But in this page, the image couldn't be shown,
and got the information of
"Chieftain.gif (28KB, MIME type: unknown/unknown)"

Nevertheless, I used [[Image:Chieftain.gif]] to embed the image to
other document, it didn't work. Only the text "Image:Chieftain.gif"
was shown.

How to solve this problem?

By the way, I installed mediawiki to my Fedora 4. The following is the
detail version information.
- MediaWiki: 1.5.5
- PHP: 5.0.4 (apache2handler)
- MySQL: 4.1.11