[Mediawiki-l] idea: Wiki-Index

Sy Ali sy1234 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 03:04:44 UTC 2006

On 1/11/06, András Kardos <k.andris at gmail.com> wrote:
> Using this you could look up things/people that happened, borned, died or
> whatever on a given day. Or things that happened in Tokyo, or in 1923, and put
> that on a Google Map. Look at Wikipedia as an intelligent "who's who" (searching
> not only by name). Or list books or movies that have wiki pages about them.
> Possibilities are quite broad. Look up pages that are in multiple indexes,
> "events" and "presidents of the world" for example.

There are a couple of hacks and extensions for mediawiki which can
automate some of this.

One allows you to create a list from the information for different
categories.  So you can create a list of all pages in [category x} and
{category y} but not {category z}.

Another lets you do similar things, but with backlinks.

I don't think either would ever make it into mediawiki code or into
the Wikipedia if they are very cpu-intensive to operate.

I don't like the idea of editors needing to do things like this
manually.  I like the idea of having mediawiki do it  Martin mentioned
Google.. they index wikipedia very well, and it's a "free" * way to
have good indexing done.

* Not totally free because of advertising on search result pages.