[Mediawiki-l] Re: Are old versions kept indefinitely

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Thu Jan 12 22:08:32 UTC 2006

> From: "Dharmaweb.org" <dharmaweb at gmail.com>
>
> I hear you about the intended design of the engine is to keep
> everything. Not every MediaWiki is intended to be used like wikipedia.

I'll save Brion, Rob, et. al. the trouble of saying, "Someone
designed a WONDERFUL hammer and gave it to you, free. If you want it
to be a screwdriver, that's YOUR problem."

Radical transparency is a central tenet in Wikimedia Foundation.
Anyone who asks for features (privacy, deletion, etc.) that subvert
this are probably not going to get a welcome reception.

But you've got the source. Just do it. Just don't expect much help.

> As a site admin, all
> I have to do is delete the page with statuscode other than 1.

And as a diabolical site admin, all you have to do is set the
statuscode of anything you disagree with or pages that might contain
incriminating evidence of nefarious activities to 0...

:::: Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have
guided missiles and misguided man. Martin Luther King Jr.
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Item/02CJDBGF>