[Mediawiki-l] Re: idea: Wiki-Index

András Kardos k.andris at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 20:00:31 UTC 2006

Hans Voss <hans.voss at ...> writes:

> While this may seem a good idea, the first thougth that sprung to mind
> was that this makes for a very exploitable structure (for
> wikispammers).
> With a "normal" page the spammers are annoying, but simple revert the
> edit and the information is gone from the wiki (the search anyway).
> But how does this work with indices:

Hans understood what I meant.

Some more things: these tables are filled (records added, deleted) just after a
page is updated - when it is parsed. If you add a "record" to a page - in the
inline syntax - it will be added to the apropriate database table at that time
too. If you revert a page to a previous version, or remove a declaration of an
"inline" record, then the database record it corresponds to is deleted too - for
example if it was a "spam". Maybe database records only kept for current
versions of pages, since they can be recreated anytime from the page sources. So
database records refer to pages by their name.

And I thought this indexing would be done by hande. BTW, I'm studiing to be a
"real" indexer (a librarian) at the moment...