[Mediawiki-l] Authentication using existing domain cookie

Justin Nazarenko jnazarenko at comcast.net
Sun Jan 8 19:39:22 UTC 2006

I hope this is the right list to post this in.  If not, please point me in
the right direction, thanks!

Here's my situation. Our main website www.domain.com is hosted on one
server. I have Mediawiki set up on a physically separate server, but it will
use the URL wiki.domain.com.

The main site does log users in, and stores their information in a
domain-wide cookie. However, to my knowledge, since the sites sit on two
physically separate servers, I cannot use the REMOTE_USER authentication
hack that is available on mediawiki.org.

So basically, I'm looking for a way for Mediawiki to take the username that
is available in the domain-wide cookie and authenticate using that.  Has
anyone seen an implementation like that or know where I can find out how to
do that?

Thanks.
Justin