[Mediawiki-l] Trackback spam

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Tue Feb 21 23:42:05 UTC 2006

Just when you think it's safe to go out again...

I've secured my fairly late-model (~1.5.6) MediaWiki against public
account creation, and now I'm finding the thieves are polluting it
with trackbacks. This new vandalism requires no account creation, no
edit rights.

In this case, I simply went in and wiped the contents of the
"mw_trackbacks" table. (I can just hear Brion saying, "DON'T DO THAT!")

Is there any strategy in place for combatting this new (to me, at
least) form of vandalism?

:::: Giving society cheap, abundant energy at this point would be the
equivalent of giving an idiot child a machine gun. -- Paul Ehrlich ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com> ::::