[Mediawiki-l] Hidden text spam and low traffic wikis

Gordon Joly gordon.joly at pobox.com
Tue Feb 21 08:44:38 UTC 2006

At 13:44 +0000 12/2/06, Rob Church wrote:
>Third parties using our software are responsible for being competent
>enough to run their own wikis. It's not our fault, nor our
>responsibility, if they're clueless and don't do anything about spam.
>
>Rob Church

I agree in the sense that software can be misapplied. But Netcraft reports...

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2006/01/31/php_apps_a_growing_target_for_hackers.html

http://tinyurl.com/l48zd

Posted by Rich Miller at January 31, 2006 03:50 PM

*****quote begins

The growth of PHP-based content management systems is a testimony to
the success of the open source movement, which has created a lengthy
list of powerful, user-friendly applications that can be installed by
web site operators with little or no PHP coding experience. Active
support communities for these projects offer templates and mods for
easy customization, and mobilize to deploy fixes for security holes.

*****quote ends

Related issue: need to upgrade as security patches come out for
MediaWIki, keep tabs on spoof accounts, etc etc.

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/