[Mediawiki-l] User confirmation

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Tue Feb 21 08:18:09 UTC 2006

> can I configure mediawiki that newly registered users have no
> rights before
> they have been confirmed by an adminstrator?

I don't think you can do this presently.

I do it by disabling user registration, then having them fill out a
form that is emailed, then I enter the registration information.
Really kills the spam, at the cost of turning some people away, but
this particular site wants to have a high doorway to step through.
This also gives me control over user names, which we have chosen to
formally standardize as real "First Last" names.

     http://www.EcoReality.org/wiki/Join

Click on any of the external links on that page to see the request
form. You should be able to "view source" the page to see the email
link. There are lots of email posting code available; let me know if
you'd like a copy of mine, which I coded from scratch.

PS: look at my example if you wish, but PLEASE don't send off a
request for a login unless you plan to take part! :-)

:::: The economists all think that if you show up at the cashier's
cage with enough currency, God will put more oil in ground. --
Kenneth Deffeyes ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.EcoReality.org> ::::