[Mediawiki-l] Information about Hashed Upload Directory

Rob Church robchur at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 11:41:45 UTC 2006

If you were to "include" the special page, with parameters, then you'd
end up including the image. Aevar's extension sends a Location header
if it finds the image.

Slapping in http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Filepath/Fitz_Roy_1.jpg
as the SRC attribute of an IMG tag gives that photo, for instance, so
usage would be quite flexible.

Just a brief note: Please *don't* use this method to include a lot of
image from Wikimedia wikis or the Commons. As it happens, Erik Moeller
and I have conversed a mite on the subject of something which *would*
allow any wiki, anywhere, to transparently use our images while
caching them locally. And in fact, I reckon this extension could be a
useful springboard for that, so I think I'll go email him now...

Rob Church