[Mediawiki-l] Making image uploading simpler

Thompson, Graeme (AELE) Graeme.Thompson at smiths-aerospace.com
Tue Feb 14 11:11:48 UTC 2006

> Thompson, Graeme (AELE) wrote:
> [snip]
> > This would make the current system a lot easier to use as
> you would be
> > able to easily place your images as you were writing the article.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
> Well, depending on what you mean, either you can't do that
> with HTML or you can
> already do that in MediaWiki.
>
> 1) Put in [[Image:My cool file.jpg]]
> 2) Save the page
> 3) Click the red link which takes you to the upload page with
> that name prefilled
> 4) Click the browse button to select the file on your local disk
> 5) Click the upload button.

Ok, but is quite long winded, especially if you have several images.

> You can't put in the local path and have it automate the
> upload, that just
> doesn't work; you can't preset the path in an HTML file
> upload element for
> obvious security reasons.

Yes, I understand that, I was suggecting that you could effectivly
automate steps 3 and 4 by simply specifying the full path to the file in
the image link (i.e. [[Image:c:\My cool file.jpg]] ) and then, when you
save the page, the server can then present you with a multiple file
upload page with all of the fields already filled in for an image
upload. Then all you need to do is to double check the files that you
are going to upload and click upload, avoiding all of the clicking
through different pages (steps 3 and 4 for each file).

--Graeme

<HTML>
The information contained in, or attached to, this e-mail, may contain confidential information and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and may be subject to legal privilege.  If you have received this e-mail in error you should notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail, delete the message from your system and notify your system manager.  Please do not copy it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person.  The views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.  The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses.  The company accepts no liability for any damage caused, directly or indirectly, by any virus transmitted in this email.<br>