[Mediawiki-l] Talk pages on MediaWiki

Adrian Overbury adrian_overbury at iinet.net.au
Sun Feb 12 00:35:39 UTC 2006

Hello.  I'm currently assisting in the setup of a MediaWiki
installation, and the project owner has asked that we find a way to
disable all talk pages on the wiki.  I had thought to assign all talk
pages to a category that only sysops could edit, but i thought better of
this on reflection, since it would involve coding an extension for it,
and it would leave a lot of void links around the place.

The links lead me to my next idea: removing all the links to the talk
pages so that no one can access them through normal means.  So, I have
to ask, where are all the references to talk-page links?  I managed to
remove the 'my talk' and 'discussion' links for the header and body of
the 'recent changes' page, but that's about it so far.  I've commented
out several other references to them in SkinTemplate and other pages,
and even tried turning the 'talk' and 'mytalk' references in the
Language.php file into null strings, but to no avail.  So, where does
MediaWIki build the 'discussion' and 'my talk' links in normal article
pages from?  Do you have any other suggestions as to how I could achieve
this?

Addendum: From what I've seen, I've actually managed to remove them from
most namespaces, but the namespaces like NS_MAIN continue to have them.
  Are these pages generated somewhere else entirely?