[Mediawiki-l] Re: Re: accents not appearing correctly

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Wed Feb 8 22:23:14 UTC 2006

muyuubyou wrote:
> Well, about my little issue with Firefox: I just type in the URL bar, and no
> cookie. Following links works (for instance, link to pages created with
> Opera, work also under Firefox).
>
> For instance:
>
> http://someIPhere/wiki/index.php/中文

In GB 18030, that's: d6 d0 ce c4

> I press enter, then the URL bar turns to:
> http://someIPhere/wiki/index.php/%C3%96%C3%90%C3%8E%C3%84
>
> , which is page "ÖÐÎÄ"

In ISO 8859-1, that's: d6 d0 ce c4

By any chance is your desktop set to a Chinese locale? It sounds like Firefox is
taking the non-ASCII chars in the URL you type and encoding them as GB 18030.
MediaWiki sees these unexpected non-UTF-8 characters and tries to convert them
from a fallback, which is the default of ISO 8859-1 or Windows-1252.

Try setting the network.standard-url.encode-utf8 hidden preference in Firefox to
true, see if that fixes it. (Who knows why they haven't turned this on yet, it's
been standard on even MSIE for years...)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)