[Mediawiki-l] problem with $wgGroupPermissions

Thomas Tschoellitsch ttschoellitsch at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 04:47:37 UTC 2006

Hello,

I've got a little problem with disabling read and new user
registrations in LocalSettings.php - I've got the following settings
from Meta (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:User_rights):

$wgShowIPinHeader = false; # For non-logged in users
$wgWhitelistRead = array( "Main Page", "Special:Userlogin", "-",
"MediaWiki:Monobook.css" );
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['edit'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['read'] = false;

What I expected to happen was, that...

- new user registrations shouldn't be possible
- no one except the sysops can read/edit the Wiki (including talk pages)

I'm not sure whether this would also include Google et al not indexing
the pages, but that'd be another thing I'd like to have for now.

Unfortunately the result is, that I can't log in anymore (via
Special:UserLogin).

Any ideas? :)

Thanks in advance,
Thomas Tschoellitsch