[Mediawiki-l] User Variable for Use in Templates

Stéphane Thibault thibault.stephane at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 12:22:22 UTC 2006

Hey everyone,

> We don't have a {{USERNAME}} variable. It's been requested about 3
> times, and each request has been rejected for a good reason; it would
> defeat page caching completely. This would not be helpful.
> Rob Church

With my level of technical knowledge, I'm not exactly sure why this
would defeat page caching. Do you have a link or two to suggest so I
would understand better what's at stake here.

I was really planning on relying heavily on this template for the
design of the wiki I manage and I wouldn't want to hack something in
that might cause more problems than it solves...

Thanks,
Stéphane