[Mediawiki-l] Error in numRows(): Illegal mix of collations

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Sat Feb 4 18:23:08 UTC 2006

muyuubyou wrote:
> When I try to create a Chinese or Japanese page I get this error:
>
>  Error in numRows(): Illegal mix of collations (utf8_bin,IMPLICIT) and
> (latin1_swedish_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation '='

Did you change the character set configuration of MySQL or the tables? Don't do
that. MediaWiki uses UTF-8, but doesn't pay much attention to what MySQL thinks
the charset is; under the old "latin-1" default it'll run good clean binary
UTF-8 on top of that with few problems. Under the experimental MySQL 5 mode it
can use tables which are set up as UTF-8. Don't try to mix these modes.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)