[Mediawiki-l] User Variable for Use in Templates

Stéphane Thibault thibault.stephane at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 08:16:31 UTC 2006

Hey guys, here's what I'm trying to do.

I'm setting up a MediaWiki website for a scientific association and
instead of relying only on collaborative writing, it's also important
that members be allowed to write "signed" articles on a subject that
may already exist.

What I'd like to do is include a string in the
[[MediaWiki:Nogomatch]] that would allow the user to create the
desired article after a failed search, redirecting him to this page:

User:Username/Article

The original article page would then act as a disambiguation page
listing all articles written on a particular topic.

It should be simple enough but I just can't find the proper variable
to use for the username in my template. I looked at theses pages:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Variable
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Magic_words

but couldn't find what I'm looking for. Any hints? Is there a built
in template maybe for "wgUser"? Or maybe even a simpler way to
achieve this goal?

I originally posted my question over here if anyone's interested on
this topic:
http://www.mwusers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=999

Thanks,
Stéphane