[Mediawiki-l] WikiSysop without admin rights - how to fix it (+ other weirdness)

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Wed Feb 1 22:15:15 UTC 2006

Hi,

I just installed a new MediaWiki 1.5.6; it is hosted on sourceforge.net
(MySQL 4.1).

It behaves quite strange, i.e. I constantly have to log in (every few
minutes), otherwise it forgets that I'm a WikiSysop.

I couldn't change WikiSysop password, and had to do it from mysql> CLI
(UPDATE user SET user_password...).

But the weirdest thing is, that the WikiSysop is not a WikiSysop!
This means, I can't protect pages, edit special pages (i.e.,
MediaWiki:Sidebar).

When I want to save new MediaWiki:Sidebar layout, I'm constantly warned
that this is a preview only, and that I need to save changes (which I do).
When I want to protect a page, I'm constantly prompted to "Confirm
protection" - as if I was reloading the page.

Preferences say that 'You are logged in as "WikiSysop". Your internal ID
number is 1.'

This is what I see in phpmyadmin in user_groups/ug_group

	ug_group
1 	bureaucrat
1 	sysop

Anyone has an idea what's wrong?