[Mediawiki-l] wmv video upload works for small, not big files. Large mp3's or swf files do work.

Jonathan Andrew Wolter jwolter at tsgrp.com
Wed Feb 1 18:08:54 UTC 2006

Sy and others--

The wmv file is detected as a text/plain mime type.

I enabled debugging (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/How_to_debug_MediaWiki)
In SpecialUpload::detectScript function it searches through the whole file
for text/ mime types.

It is hanging somewhere in Sanitizer::decodeCharReferences($chunk);
(approx. line 807)

If it were not detected as a text/plain mime type it would just check for
malicious javascript for the first 1K. So, I next need to find a way to
correctly set the mime type for a wmv file.

:::::New Question::::
---> Has anyone customized the mime type associations for given files (as
used by Mime Magic? <----

My next steps are to look in the Mime Magic code, and/or any config files
associated with it.

Best,

Jonathan

On 1/31/06, Jonathan Andrew Wolter <jwolter at tsgrp.com> wrote:
> I'm having problems with a 3.5 meg wmv file. I can upload successfully a 7
> meg mp3 or a 7 meg swf flash file. If I change the extension of the wmv to
> mp3 or swf -- it still does not work.

Well _that_ is definitely wierd!  I'm scratching my head over that one..