[Mediawiki-l] Problems with TeX formulas in MediaWiki

Martin Mrazek martin.mrazek at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 17:05:42 UTC 2006

 Hello,

I still cannot find solution on displaying TeX formulas in MediaWiki under
Win XP. Steps of my experimentation are below. Everything ends up either by
error "Failed to parse (unknown error)", or by [Unparseable or potentially
dangerous latex formula. Error 3 ]...

Can somebody help me?

thanx
Martin

   1. Downloaded TeXlive2005, OCalm, Gost Script, ImageMagik,
   2. I used make from http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/ in wiki_dir\math

   RESULT - ERROR:
   ocamlopt -c util.ml
   'as' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
   program or batch file.
   Assembler error, input left in file ...  *** [util.cmx] Error 2
   3. I used mingw32-make texvc.bc as recommended on
   http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Running_MediaWiki_on_Windows
   4. Renamed texvc.bc to texvc.exe
   5. Edited wiki_dir/localsettings.php:
   $wgUseTeX           = true;

   RESULT - ERROR:
   Instead of formula written: "Failed to parse (missing executable
   texvc, look at math/README for documentation): x^2".
   6. According to
   http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Running_Mediawiki_on_Windows#Building_texvc_on_WindowsI
did the following:
      1. in /includes/Math.php  I replaced

        wfDebug( "TeX: $cmd\n" );

      with the following:

        $cmd=str_replace("'","\"",$cmd);
        wfDebug( "TeX: $cmd\n" );
      2. in LocalSettings.php I added:

      $wgTexvc = "texvc.exe";

RESULT - ERROR:
Instead of formula written: "Failed to parse (unknown error): x^2".

   1. I tried several changes to math/render.ml:
      1. I tried to write full path for convert, latex, dvips as
      recommended in
      http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Running_MediaWiki_on_Windows#Finally_.28finally.21.29_got_the_math_output_working_on_Windows

      RESULT - ERROR:
      Failed to parse (unknown error): x^2
      2. I tried completely new math.php in wiki_dir/includes - see
      http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Running_MediaWiki_on_Windows/math.php

      RESULT - ERROR:
      [Unparseable or potentially dangerous latex formula. Error 3 ]
   2. I tried also
   http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Running_Mediawiki_on_Windows#Alternative_Solution

   It means to add into LocalSettings.php

   $wgUseImageMagick = true;

$wgImageMagickConvertCommand = "C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-
6.3.1-Q16\convert.exe";

$wgImageMagickIdentifyCommand = "C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-
6.3.1-Q16\identify.exe";

$wgLaTexCommand                 = 'C:\TeXLive2005\bin\win32\latex.exe';

$wgDvipsCommand                 = 'C:\TeXLive2005\bin\win32\dvips.exe';

RESULT - ERROR:
[Unparseable or potentially dangerous latex formula. Error 3 ]