[Mediawiki-l] how to create manuals per version

Ittay Dror ittayd at qlusters.com
Wed Dec 27 10:46:11 UTC 2006

I want to use mediawiki to for documentation of the product. The problem i'm having is how to manage product versions.

I would like the user to feel he has a manual per major version. E.g., in the home page, list all versions, each leading to that version's home page.

When I have a new version, I'd like to mirror the previous version's pages, and change those that require changing.

I don't want to copy the pages, since then it means that enhancing the documents in any way (e.g., fixing grammer, spelling, adding more info about a subject) needs to be manually copied to all pages.

What I'd like to have is to work with subpages, so that if i redirect from one to another, the relative links are relative to the redirection source. so if v2/Home redirects to v1/Home, and the user clicks a [[../FAQ]] link there, he'll go to v2/FAQ (which can itself redirect to v1/FAQ).  actually redirect is probably not it, but an alias (since i don't really want to redirect, i want the user to feel he is browsing v2/..)

Then, for each version, I'll have some bot that creates all aliases for the new version.

Thanks,
Ittay

--
Ittay Dror,