[Mediawiki-l] customizing messages

Jan Theodore Galkowski jtgalkowski at alum.mit.edu
Mon Dec 25 18:40:34 UTC 2006

what is the best way to customize the messages seen on the interface? it
looks like you can either do things through the php files like
messagesEn.php, or through the things in the database using the
MediaWiki namespace.  I'm not sure which one to use.

The changes I am looking to make right now are changing what it says on
the Talk tab (instead of "discussion") for one of my custom namespaces,
as well as adding things to the navigation bar.

I think that if you use messagesEn.php, then you have to turn
$wgUseDatabaseMessages off, and that disables the stuff you do through
the MediaWiki namespace, but I'm not sure.

which should I use for this and future customizations?  thanks!

  -- Dave (posted for him by JTG: his don't post for some reason)