[Mediawiki-l] XML Import Strips Markup Formatting

Connolly, Wayne Wayne.Connolly at team.telstra.com
Wed Dec 20 00:21:32 UTC 2006

Thanks Brion -replacing the < with &lt; and > with &gt; worked
perfectly.

You are a legend. Now all my imports worked.

Finally - I exported them from a identical mediawiki version 1.7.1 on a
identical WAMP stack. It had the < > in it so im not sure what is the
issue as it had no plugins.

Thanks.
Wayne

Connolly, Wayne wrote:
> I just installed Mediawiki 1.7.1 on our intranet and imported
> successfully 206 pages - however after import each page has had its
HTML
> markup completely removed.
>
> <h2>Some Title</h2> and <p>Some Text</p> are all that was used as
> markup. I have added the FCKEdititor as a exstention and written a
> custom LDAP extension after all the others failed, otherwise the
> mediawiki is stock.
[snip]
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.mediawiki.org/xml/export-0.3/
> http://www.mediawiki.org/xml/export-0.3.xsd" version="0.3"
> xml:lang="en">
[snip]
>       <text xml:space="preserve">
> <h2>URL</h2><p>	http://www.telstra.com.au/video/</p>
[snip]

If you attempt to validate this file, I believe you will find that it
violates the .xsd schema.

Special:Import probably _should_ reject it, but probably does not
correctly detect all invalid input. The results are undefined, but the
result you describe sounds like a likely outcome knowing how the XML
parser is used.

The contents of the <text> element must be character data; child
elements will not be interpreted correctly. Normally it should thus
appear like this:

<text xml:space="preserve">
&lt;h2&gt;URL&lt;/h2&gt;&lt;p&gt;
http://www.telstra.com.au/video/&lt;/p&gt;

etc.

If you're generating these export files with a custom tool, the tool
needs to be fixed. If you're generating them from a patched MediaWiki,
the patch is probably faulty, damaging the export code, and needs to be
corrected.