[Mediawiki-l] Missing wfStrencode() - MediaWiki 1.9

Stephen Collins trib at acidlabs.org
Tue Dec 19 11:23:47 UTC 2006

Brion Vibber wrote:
 > wfStrencode is waaay ancient and finally got removed. One problem
with
 > it is that as a global function it wouldn't match with the actual
 > database class in use, and thus may perform incorrect escaping.

Okay.

 > Use the database object's addQuotes() method if you must construct
SQL
 > manually. This performs both quoting and escaping appropriate to the
 > database connection.
 >
 > e.g.: 'blah blah page_title=' . $dbr->addQuotes( $row->page_title )

So, obviously, I have some extensions that worked with versions up to
and including 1.8.2, but will break 1.9alpha.  I'm comfortable with
that, but I've only recently started hacking at this code, so a
little push along might be needed.  In the case of the RSS feed
extension I have (Alxndr's, actually), the guilty line reads:

$ti = wfStrencode($wgTitle->getDBkey());

I'm not yet familiar enough with this to completely understand what's
going on, so if I could ask; can you show me in this case what I
should be doing?  If I get shown once, I should be able to deal with
it into the future.

Much appreciated.  Oh, and thanks for gently tolerating the n00b.

Steve