[Mediawiki-l] A few 1.8.2 => 1.9alpha questions..

spencerp spencerp1 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 22:07:16 UTC 2006

Hello everyone, I'm new to the list. I'd really like to become part of the MediaWiki Community, by testing the 1.9alpha, learning the in's and out's, with MediaWiki itself. ;) :)

The reason for this email is, I'd like a few questions answered, so.. to start with, I was wondering, what would be the easiest and best way to upgrade from 1.8.2 => 1.9alpha?

I'm *not* familiar with the SSH, line commands stuff.. I'm used to downloading the latest trunk files using TortoiseSVN 1.4.1, and then manually uploading (only the latest svn commits) to the FTP directory for my wiki..

However, in this case.. I uploaded all the 1.8.2 files, and installed it just fine. But, I'd like to upgrade it to 1.9alpha now. I like being on the "bleeding edge" .. ;) :)

I've read some of the directions on the MediaWiki wiki, but, some things seem to be confusing me. Should I first rename the LocalSettings.php file to LocalSettings.php.old, then do the same with some other files, which were customized?

Then, upload all the trunk files for 1.9alpha, "install" it again.. like I did with 1.8.2? I already subscribed to the CVS list, so I'll start getting the latest CVS commits.. and know which files were lastly "fixed/modified" so I can stay on top of the game...

Which leads to another question, everytime a "new cvs" file comes through the list.. Does this mean the whole MediaWiki itself will need updated? Or, is there only a select few files which requires this?

 Also, in the AdminSettings.php file, this code here is a little confusing..

*Developers: Do not check AdminSettings.php into Subversion
 *
 * @package MediaWiki
 */

/*
 * This data is used by all database maintenance scripts
 * (see directory maintenance/). The SQL user MUST BE
 * MANUALLY CREATED or set to an existing user with
 * necessary permissions.
 *
 * This is not to be confused with sysop accounts for the
 * wiki.
 */
$wgDBadminuser      = 'wikiadmin';
$wgDBadminpassword  = 'adminpass';

Is that Admin and Pass supposed to be the "main one(s)" which was used on the installation? Which can be found in the LocalSettings.php file correct? Sorry for all these questions.. just wanted to know for sure, before doing to much more with my wiki..  ;) :)

spencerp
http://spencerp.net
http://wiki.spencerp.net