[Mediawiki-l] Automatic Login using get_current_user()

J Wolfgang Goerlich jwgoerlich at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 16:22:47 UTC 2006

Hello group,

I have installed Mediawiki 1.8.2 running on Windows 2003, served up by
PHP 5.2 on IIS 5. I have attempted to integrate this with Active
Directory, with lots of help from Ryan Lane, but have thus far been
unsuccessful. It looks like such integration would require Openldap
and probably more work that it is worth.

An easier approach, it seems to me, would be to have IIS do the
authentication and pass the information to Mediawiki. This is possible
with Windows Integrated authentication. The username is available in
PHP under $_SERVER['REMOTE_USER'] or get_current_user(). The next
trick is to pass this onto Mediawiki.

I tried the code below but it only generates an HTTP 500 error when
parsing InitUser(). This might be because of versioning, because the
example is for MediaWiki 1.5.5 and I have 1.8.2.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Otheus/Auto_Login_via_REMOTE_USER

It also seems rather round-about to create an WebRequest and submit it
to the form, which then does the login. Maybe I am missing something
here, though, for I am rather rough with PHP.

So, in sum, how do I simply and easily modify Mediawiki to use IIS's
authentication?

J Wolfgang Goerlich